Is there a way to reset the admin password for the surveillance application zoneminder without re-installing the application? I was not able to find this information in the documentation or by googling it.
Try looking at the /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf I doubt the password is in there in plain-text but worth a shot.
After a quick look it does use a sql backend and likely the users/passwords are in there. Since the install states to use a different password for sql you could try getting in there though the passwords (Hopefully) are encrypted. You can use something like http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/mysql-query-browser to see the database tables/rows
1) login to mysql, for example, "root" user in MySQL server:
2) put your password then enter, outcome is:
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)"
4) Here are all your databases, say "zm" is the one you are looking for.
5) You need to change the password of your user so if you want to check user and other sections of the table "Users" in the "zm"database.
2 rows in set (0.00 sec)"
6) Then lets say you want to change the password of "admin" user and put it blank, write:
Please note that all those "y" and "x" are replacing the hash from my passwords in my zm configuration. So if you chose hashed, plain or none in the options menu from zm web page:
"AUTH_RELAY Method used to relay authentication information (?) hashed plain none"
In MySQL you will see the password accordingly, say you'll find a hash, or your password in plain text or an empty space if there was no password at all. I hope this help you. I'm using Zoneminder 1.25 in a Ubuntu server 12.04.