I have reviewed other answers such as What are good CD Ripping Programs?. I didn't find my solution yet.
The solution I seek: I want to enter or edit track titles and album info manually in the GUI before I start ripping.
I'm using RubyRipper and it has this feature, but RubyRipper is way too slow my current situation. I'm ripping some new audio books I just purchased. They are typically not found the the CDDB and some discs don't show any track titles in the ripping software. So I want to enter this info manually.
An alternative solution might be some way to organize the file names after ripping. I'm open to suggestions on that. So far, my attempts to do that have indicated it will be too time consuming and error-prone. So my question is really focused on using the GUI of the ripping software.
I'm also open to using scripts and command line tools -- but only if it is faster and more efficient. Speed and efficiency count in this task. For example, I'd want to be able to just paste all track titles into a config file, not have to do painstaking editing of a complex command for each CD.
The reason why RubyRipper is not appropriate is because the original recording quality is not that great. It sounds like the speaker's microphone is rubbing on paper or maybe his clothing at times. I think this causes RubyRipper problems. Some tracks cannot be "corrected" after the maximum trials.
But with this poor original quality, I don't care about RubyRipper's efforts at achieving perfection. And I can't seem to set the preferences to completely turn off this matching. (The lowest value is 2 and that's what I've been using.) If I'm ripping classical music, I absolutely want to use RubyRipper (or maybe ABCDE). But for my current 32 CD audio book (and similar situations) neither of those options are appropriate. It took all day to rip just 5 of the 32 CDs from the first of many audio books. At that rate, this project will take months. It should take a day, max.
EDIT/UPDATE: I'm still looking for the ideal solution. I haven't found it. In the mean time, here's what I'm doing. I'm using Asunder for quick and simple ripping. I'm not editing track names at the ripping stage. Next I'm using Easy Tag to edit the tags as well as track names (and even file names). Easy Tag basically solved my problem, but in a way I hadn't anticipated. Finally, if I need more precise changes to the file names, I'm using "rename" on the command line. This is the most efficient approach I have found so far. I'll probably finish this project using this approach.