Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to uninstall acroread that I downloaded from adobe's website and installed. How can I do that?

share|improve this question
How did you install it? What guide did you follow? – dadexix86 Mar 2 '12 at 16:56
@dadexix86 I installed it through the installer program from the adobe's website. – sawa Mar 2 '12 at 17:30
up vote 8 down vote accepted

There is an UNINSTALL script in the same folder where you installed it.

$ locate UNINSTALL

$ cd /usr/local/Adobe/Reader9/bin
$ sudo ./UNINSTALL


share|improve this answer
I also had to remove an icon of Adobe Reader from the list of applications in GNOME. The icon was in ~/.local/share/applications/. It might also be in /usr/share/applications/ – Maksim Dmitriev Oct 3 '14 at 17:06

Or if that still doesn't work and returns Package acroread is not installed, so not removed you can try sudo apt-get purge adobereader-enu && sudo apt-get autoremove.

(Taken from

share|improve this answer
My +1 for you ! :) – Pratik C Joshi Dec 26 '15 at 16:38

I also tried many ways to uninstall adobe reader 9 and this method worked for me

sudo apt-get purge acroread-bin
sudo apt-get autoremove
share|improve this answer
This seems to be the only viable solution on 14.04. – Luís de Sousa Dec 31 '15 at 15:35

If you have installed it manually, then you have can run

locate adobereader 

Then remove it from there and delete the folder.

share|improve this answer
sudo apt-get remove acroread

or if you have Synaptic installed you can use that as well.

It should also show up in Software Center if your search for it, but I'm not well-versed in Software Center.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.