Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Gnome shell, because Unity is too slow. Is there a way I can enable extra visual effects which I had in Lucid Lynx? How can I replace my Windows managers? I prefer to use Gnome 3 or Gnome classic if Compiz works. Thanks!

share|improve this question
If unity is too slow, then it's probably because of the 3D effects that compiz provides. – medigeek Feb 23 '12 at 12:07

From the Gnome 3 Myths page:

I can't use Compiz with GNOME Shell!

Because the GNOME Shell project wanted "tighter integration" between the panel and window manager than cooperating with the Compiz project would allow, this could actually be true. This mailing list post has more information.

Gnome Shell relies on Mutter to do its fancy work, just as Unity (3D) relies on Compiz. You can't mix and match unfortunately.

This might get fixed in time but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Gnome Classic does work with Compiz though. If you're happier with a panel-based setup and want the wobblyness, you can turn compiz on by running compiz --replace.

To turn on wobbly windows, I suggest you install compizconfig-settings-manager and then run ccsm to change the compiz settings. A word of warning: CCSM is a powerful tool without any safety latches. It's quite easy to break Compiz with it so if you do ever get stuck, you can reset your settings by running:

gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/compiz
share|improve this answer

Just install Compiz from the Ubuntu Software Centre, and run compiz --replace. That should do (it if your hardware is supported).

You can open a Run dialog by pressing Alt+F2.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.