When I look at them, their functionality seems to overlap so much that they could almost be merged:
- The MA is used to open Gwibber, but the MM is used to set the accounts and broadcast messages.
- The MA is used to open Empathy, but the MM is used to set the accounts and set a status (available, busy...).
All these could well be in different sections, either in the MA or the MM:
- Chat (set status, accounts).
- Mail (send mail, contacts).
- Broadcast (send message, accounts).
- Ubuntu One.
- About me.
So, why the decision to split them in two different indicators, thus taking extra space in the panel?