Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I've mentioned Unity 2D in a sentence and now I would like to mention Unity and distinguish it so that it will be clear that I'm talking about Unity (the accelerated one) and not 2D, how will I call Unity?

"Unity 3D" is just wrong.

share|improve this question
Hmm this questions is answered somewhere else may be duplicate :) – Tachyons Feb 17 '12 at 15:09
How is Unity 3D wrong? it uses 3D hardware acceleration, so please explain yourself? how is it wrong to call it Unity 3D. – Uri Herrera Feb 17 '12 at 17:23
Unity doesn't use 3D hardware acceleration. Compiz uses that. And Unity doesn't have any 3D effects for now. And it was never intended to be called Unity 3D. And if I was the author of Unity I would not like 3D or anything added to it's name because that's not what I named it :) . – Shahar Or Feb 21 '12 at 10:34
@UriHerrera Unity 3D is also the name of a popular game engine so it can conflict with that. ;) – Gladen Dec 25 '13 at 0:10
up vote 3 down vote accepted

Unity3D is not wrong, its commonly used to distinguish Unity from Unity2D.

But Unity is the official name of the desktop session and Unity2D is the official name for the non composed desktop session, that should be enough to distinguish them.

share|improve this answer

Usually just 'Unity'. As long as you specifically call out Unity 2D, I don't think you need to specify Unity as being accelerated

share|improve this answer

I agree that calling it Unity 3D might be confusing. To differentiate it, you might call it something like Unity/Compiz, or Unity (Compiz).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.