Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have my music stored on my Windows partition, and I can access them from Ubuntu. Is there anyway to represent them virtually in my music folder in home. What I want to do is similar to how the Windows 7 library folders work. Thanks in advance.

share|improve this question

You can auto mount your Windows partition with folder inside your home music folder (for example ~Music/FromWindows) as mount point.
Check simple guide how to do it without messing with editing /etc/fstab file

share|improve this answer

Mounting the partition as Denis suggests is ideal if the Music folder is on it's own partition. Even if it is not you can mount any folder under another location using the -o loop option to mount.

The simpler way maybe to just create a link from the folder containing the Music to your home folder.

Right click on the folder containing the Music and choose "Make Link", then copy the link to your home directory and rename it to something like "Windows Music".

share|improve this answer
usually, a folder on windows partitions doesn't support symbolic links. – Denis Feb 15 '12 at 14:11
The symlink will be in your home directory, which will most likely be a file system that supports symlinks (ext2,ext3,ext4, reiserfs etc). It will point to a folder on perhaps a file system that does not support symlinks (ntfs, fat, etc). It can work that way round. – Richard Holloway Feb 15 '12 at 21:25
you are right,symlink is nice and simple solution. I mean, you can't make it with right click on ntfs folder in Nautilus, but you can add a symlink with usual syntax ln -s /from /to in terminal – Denis Feb 16 '12 at 21:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.