Ask Ubuntu is a question and answer site for Ubuntu users and developers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to get my computer to use the correct resolution. For that I need to specify the horizontal and vertical sync values in the configuration file (xorg.conf):

Section "Monitor"  
  Identifier     "Monitor0"  
  VendorName     "Unknown"  
  ModelName      "CRT-0"  
  HorizSync       31.0 - 81.0  
  VertRefresh     56.0 - 76.0  
  Option         "DPMS"  

Let's say these values for HorizSync and VertRefresh are somehow wrong for my monitor.
Where do I find the correct values?

Note: This is a "dummy" question -- with the help from the chat, I already found part of the answer, and I am now going to add my own answer to document a solution that is hopefully universal.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

In your monitor's manual.

If it's not there, find out if there are identically built models on the market, or just stick to the default values (they're quite safe and reasonable for almost anything with a VGA connector).

However, before doing it this "hard way", check whether your monitor and video card can't negotiate everything by themselves.

share|improve this answer
Ha, I wanted to provide an answer to my own question but you beat me to it :-) – Torben Gundtofte-Bruun Feb 2 '12 at 20:49
If it is not in your manual, or if like me you somehow misplaced the manual that came with your monitor =) ; google your monitor and you should find the specifications. – bodhi.zazen Feb 2 '12 at 21:38

While I hate the "RTFM or go search Google" answer that was given, it really is best. Go to the manufacturer's site, go to their support section or the place where they offer drivers and software for download, and there will be a place to search for your model. Chances are, they have a link to a PDF manual there. Open it and search for the term Sync. What you are looking for is often called "Synchronization Range" and will likely be under some table with technical specifications.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.