On one of my Ubuntu 11.10 servers, when I use
sudo -i to become the root user, root's .bashrc is not being executed. On all other servers, whose relevant configurations are identical as far as I know, it is being executed properly.
Here's what I've checked:
- .bashrc exists in /root, owned by root:root, permissions 644
- /etc/profile and /etc/bash.bashrc are being executed
- root's shell is set to "/bin/bash"
- I can execute .bashrc with
source .bashrc, after which everything is normal for that session.
- I can also type
bashto execute bash manually after I've sudoed to root, and .bashrc is then executed
- ps confirms that the running shell for my root login is bash.
Anything else to check?