What topics can I ask about here?
It's a questions and answers site for Ubuntu-related questions. It's also a place to share knowledge about Ubuntu.
Before posting any Questions/Answers please follow the Ubuntu Code of Conduct, Ubuntu Leadership Code of Conduct, and this FAQ when participating in this community.
If you wish, you can even see several Video tutorials on how to use the site.
Questions that you may ask:
Using and administering official Ubuntu flavors including: Edubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin, Lubuntu, Mythbuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Xubuntu and Ubuntu Touch.
Running third-party applications on Ubuntu.
- Development on Ubuntu.
- Services provided by Ubuntu
- Any question not mentioned below or here are great!
Questions that you should avoid:
- Linux Mint, Backtrack, Gnome-Remix (prior to 13.04) and other Linux distributions (try our friends at Unix & Linux Stack Exchange).
- Bug reports (How do I submit a bug?).
- Issues with the next version of Ubuntu (Ubuntu+1) (More information about Alpha and Beta release issues).
- Shopping or Hardware Recommendations
- Support for versions for Ubuntu releases past their Support or "End of Life" (EOL)
Information needed when creating a question:
- Ubuntu version you are using in the TAG, including any other Tags that can help on the question.
- If a question involves any hardware issues, provide relevant information (Eg: If your question is about a graphics issue, provide video card type, video drivers and anything related to it)
- Questions should show as much information about your problem as possible. The more work and time you put on your question, the easier, faster and better the answers will be.
- Make sure the Question's title shows what the problem is about. Asking "Ubuntu has problem" is not the same as "Unity not loading after installing Ati drivers". Be specific about it.
- Remember that we can only help you using the information you have provided on the question. If your question lacks information, a solution will take more time to arrive.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?" If you have a question about the site that is not answered in this FAQ, check our community-maintained FAQ, and more generally our meta-discussion site.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Ask Ubuntu, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.